I was visiting a friend yesterday that has a large and wonderful garden, and I particularly noticed her beets, all in nice rows. We got to talking, and I mentioned an amazing Beet Gratin recipe I have. Was she interested? Of course! So I dug it out, and I am putting it here for perusal.
Sadly I did not create it or write it, etc, but I cannot now find it online, so to allow the world to have this creation I am putting it here. It was originally Golden Beet Gratin, but I can never find those so I made it with regular beets, and it is the best beet dish I have ever had.
Author: Marian Schwartz
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 8-10 servings
Best Beet dish I have ever had.
- 6-8 red beets
- 2 lb beet greens
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon salt (for blanching water)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut greens off beets, leaving ½" of stems. Scrub beets and place in baking dish. Add ¼" water. Cover tightly and bake 35-40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Stem and wash greens. Add 1 Tablespoon salt to water and blanch greens for a minute or two. Transfer to bowl of cold water, drain, squeeze out water, and chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Oil 2-quart gratin dish generously with olive oil. Slip skins off beats and slice thin. Beat eggs, ¾ teaspoon salt, pepper, milk, garlic, and all but two Tablespoons of cheeses. Stir into chopped greens.
- Make the gratin. Line bottom of dish with sliced beets, overlapping slightly. Add layer of the greens mixture. Continue to make 2-3 layers, depending on the size of the gratin dish. Be sure the top layer is beet slices. overlapping slightly. Sprinkle remaining 2 Tablespoons of cheese over beets and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until set and lightly browned. Allow to sit 10-15 minutes before serving, to cool slightly and finish setting the gratin. Serve hot or warm.